5.17.2008 Saturday

Lots of phone calls, text messages of support. I feel the love. Ces called to say the titas are coming, that T. Lisa was calling. T. Lucy called too and she said she's been crying talking to A. Des. It's funny because I seem to be the one comforting people. Liza didn't want to call me, asked Pinky if I was depressed. People keep asking me if I'm covering up. I truly am not. I don't know where I'm pulling strength from. I just want the surgery done and over with. Like I know in my heart I'll be OK. I have tickets to see Billy Eliot and Equus. That I'll go to Job's wedding next month, maybe watch Gypsy.

Zack's staying home with Euge while he works. He didn't get to work yesterday because they left so late. I wish I could see the dog, too.

I want to leave to watch Prince Caspian! Watch Lost! Lynn said Sun was fierce. Nice day out, too.

Paige called; Beth also to see if I was up for company. Course I was! Beth came with her son Billy, an amiable young man. Had a great visit, what with Beth being her usual comedic self. She has a new nickname: Dasani. Also Angelina Jolie. You'll have to get the details from me.

T. Lucy, Mary Faith, Uncle Tun, T. Iya and T. Flor came. The 2 titas were their usual glum selves. I wanted to say "I'm not dead yet!" And apparently some drama because Ces said hello to them and they snubbed her. Geez people! Let it go! They didn't stay long. Pinky called during the visit and sorry my friend, but I passed the phone to her! Had a good visit with Paige thankfully. Dr. Gerber came in to ask if I had a doctor's name. I gave him Dr. Jeffrey Bruce's name upon Mike Dec's recommendation. He was recommended by his friend Peter Rivera. At first when they called him, they said he was no longer at Columbia Presbyterian. I texted Janel for the names of her mother-in-law's surgeons. Doc came back and said Dr. Bruce was at a conference but should be back in a few days. They were waiting to see if he'd accept me. What was my audition piece, the MRI? Finally he accepted me and they started getting a room/transport for me. Things were moving; I packed up.

Anyway, Mobile Life Support came to pick me up. Mike and Chris attended to me. Cecile got to ride up front woot! Euge followed. I did see Zack in the car window yey! Nice easy ride to the city on the Palisades, although Tracey the nurse bummed me out before I left, saying how scary it was and the recovery was going to be long. I left at 620 PM; was at Columbia by 750 PM. Cecile went downstairs to do my paperwork while a half-Pinoy/half Indian resident assessed and admitted me, tito Omar by name. He said his mom's from Iloilo. He asked how I heard of Dr. Bruce so I told him. He knew Wily Lopez, a Pinoy neurosurgeon. He asked me why I was in the hospital so I said I had a meningioma. He kinda looked puzzled and asked if that's what they called it. I met my nurse Elaine, also Filipino. Cecile returned home and they took me to MRI again. Chitchatted with this black female patient who said she was scared of being in the basement at 11 PM (twas a 24 hr MRI unit). She was funny. Claustrophobic. She had been having blackouts/headaches for years she said. They had wanted to admit her a few days ago but she has little ones. She sent them to her mother first. I was back in 8Hudson North Room 121-2 by 1130 PM. Elaine gave me juice and crackers. She also unfortunately changed my IV to the right side, by the wrist. Oww! How can I wash up? Do laundry? How can I sleep? Maybe she was showing off for the other black nurse who wanted to see how she did an IV. Why are they waiting for an ICU bed for me?

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.