Lynn and I joined the American Cancer Society and NYC Police Relay for Life yesterday in Washington Heights. And what a lovely time I had! 8 us from the Lodge went. We were met by Gina, head of the Survivor committee. She hosted a little reception for us, gave us delicious purple cake (not ube though), t-shirts, gift bags. We even got sashes that said Survivor and Caregiver. There was a banner on the wall where we could put our purple handprint and write messages of support. I felt like a little kid again dipping my hands into the purple tempera paint. It washed right off.

After the national anthem, the opening remarks and emotional speeches, which left me teary-eyed, we opened the event a little before 1 PM. The survivors and caregivers walked the opening lap. It was an honor to walk with these amazing courageous people. Celebrate, remember and fight back was the theme. I was touched and moved by these people's stories.

We hung about for a while, checked out the merch, walked around the track a little more before heading out. I could have stayed longer but we had to meet a friend to watch "Mamma Mia!" (which was another treat!). And we had Gray's Papaya hotdogs for lunch. Lynn gave it two thumbs up. I finally ordered the papaya drink, but I'm not convinced it was made from papaya. A mystery concoction.

And to top it off, my sister had the brilliant idea that perhaps we should make a conciliatory move towards our estranged father and try to comfort our poor suffering mother. He sent me a text message on Friday expressing love and concern, which apparently he thought I totally rebuffed. I started a text war and made both parents even more upset. I rocked the boat and didn't know how to fix it. So last night Lynn and I both wrote letters which we hope he'll see in a positive light. It was therapeutic. Ball's in his court now.

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.