Day 3 March 14: Monterey Bay. After driving along Highway 1, Cecile, her husband, his sister, Zack and I drove around quaint Pacific Grove. We went to see the monarch butterflies. PG is Butterfly Town after all, but I guess most of them are gone. Except for one or two (maybe one; it might have been the same one we saw later), perhaps left behind to satisfy tourists. Walked around Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf. We saw a few seals lolling about. They're apparently hooligan seals that destroy boats in the marina. Of course, they're protected by law and know they can't get into trouble. Headed back to Pacific Grove for a Chinese buffet dinner with my sister's in-laws. We hung out at their house until bedtime. The baby kept wanting to touch Zack. Watched Zack and their dog interact. Nice to spend time with my brother-in-law's family. So sad to leave the next day. Good times never last. At least the memories and pictures do. Long as I have my wits about me.
Day 2 March 13 : Yosemite National Park--the Captain of Yosemite Valley. I finally made it here. Had a rowdy group of Australians as tour companions. It was like a field trip. I love Aussies. They're funny as heck. The first hour and a half of the van ride was most uncomfortable though; I shouldn't have had that tall cup of hot chocolate before leaving.
Day 1 March 12: Well-travelled Zack inside our Prius hybrid rental car. (I dubbed the car Max for being kick-ass and getting so many miles out of a gallon.) Doggy was so good in the plane, so quiet and well-behaved. I have to admit, I was worried about him getting motion sickness or just antsy during the plane ride. He seemed to have slept most of the time.
After lunch at Goldilocks, we went to the Golden Gate Bridge then crossed it on the way to Napa Valley.
Cecile and Eugene tasted wines at the V. Sattui winery while I walked around taking pictures. The first time I went to Napa, we were winery-hopping so I didn't get a chance to linger. This was probably my favorite one even then, so beautiful and Old World-like. I half-expected to see Angela Channing walking around (although her winery was larger).
Half barrels for sale. Cecile and I slept over at a hotel in Fisherman's Wharf that night in preparation for our Yosemite tour the next day.
Yosemite Falls, tallest in North America.
A view of Yosemite Falls from the base during our walkabout after lunch. We bought sandwiches from Safeway.
The not visible Half Dome. Although I didn't have my camera out at the time, I did see it when our vehicle passed it on the way out. Another fleeting moment.
Dinner that night at Jollibee; Cecile's incredulous sis-in-law asked if I was serious, when I said I was taking a photo of my Palabok Fiesta. Oh she of little faith! My shamelessness with photograph-taking is boundless, in my quest to document the trip.
Still the winery. Headed to Max's for a humongous belated birthday dinner afterwards. The House the Fried Chicken built. That must have been arduous, seeing as they don't have hands.
Day 3 March 14: Drove along Route 1. Stopped by Big Sur General Store; got big and tasty burritos. Lovely creek in the back with chairs in the water. Had lunch at Pfeiffer Beach after failing to get to Pfeiffer Falls because dogs weren't allowed. I can't think of a better way to spend the day. Sleepover at a Monterey hotel so as not to impose on the family.
The rugged and beautiful California coastline
Big Sur indeed!
Bixby Bridge.

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.